Loved reading this book by Judith Warner. A must read for any parent who is obsessing about doing the right thing for their kids. I say, just let the kids be. They will turn out just fine.
Check out this article about the book.
And a favorite passage from the book:
"Because there is a real gap today between the ideals of gender equality we as a society espouse and the ability of American women to make good on the promises of their freedom. They face compromises that men do not share. Their right to "choose" -- to remain true to themselves, to make (and act upon) their own choices - is sytematically curtailed when they become mothers. And that's because the structures of our society as they currently exist do not allow mothers to make meaningful choices.
Too many are forced to abdicate the dreams of a lifetime because the demands of the workplace are incompatible with family life."
2 comments:
How big is this book and what exactly did you love about?
U
I think the book should be about 300 pages or so. My favorite passage says it all. The book talks about how parenting brings forth the gender inequalities, how difficult moms make it for themselves while obsessing about kids and parenting (I have had atleast 4 people ask me if I have started teaching my baby sign language)... and the book helped me take a good look at myself as a parent.
Post a Comment