Friday, October 07, 2011

Marathi Poetry

Though my mother tongue is Marathi, and there is lot of beautiful Marthi literature out there, I have never read anything in Marathi. Since my understanding of the language is colloquial, I usually need some help in understanding songs or poems.

Anyways, I stumbled across a blog where I saw this beautiful poem. I love the cynicism, and it is so beautiful in marathi. The translation would probably kill the spirit.

इथे वेडे असण्याचे
खूप फायदे आहेत
शहाण्यान साठी जगण्याचे
कोतेकोर कायदे आहेत

-मी माझ्हा,
चन्द्रशेखर गोखले

To be crazy here (in this world)
has lots of advantages,
A sane person to live,
has to follow lots of rules.

- Me and mine,
Chandrashekhar Gokhale

I then ofcourse had to google and find more poetry by this author from the same book. The language is simple, something I can follow. And I have decided to read more of Marathi literature, so isn't this a good way to start?

आठवणीच्या देशात
मी मनाला कधी पाठवत नाही
जाताना ते खुष असतं
पण येताना त्याला येववत नाही

In a world of memories,
I don't send my heart,
It is happy to go,
but it is not ready to come back


माझ्या मनाचा माझ्या मेंदूशी
छत्तीसाचा आकडा आहे
माझं मन तसं सरळ आहे
या मेंदूचाच रस्ता वाकडा आहे


My heart and my mind
are at loggerheads  (literal transation: are like the number 36)
my heart is very simple
it is my mind that is twisted

No comments: