Monday, April 01, 2013

Right Man

When I got married, I thought the "ceremony" wasn't really important for me. I thought I would be ok with a registered marriage too. And so, I was completely ok with going to a faraway place, where many of my friends/family coudln't come, where the wedding rituals were different, where the language spoken was alien.

It was only later that I felt cheated. I felt cheated out of what should have been "my kind" of wedding, my big party. And I told everyone who was willing to listen, to marry their way. To not get bowed down by pressure and to have a big party.

I had this little bit of sadness always. My parents ofcourse thought I was being silly, and sometimes they would say, "we told you to get married in our city". R ofcourse felt really sad, he really wanted me to have my kind of wedding. And there was nothing anybody could do to make me feel better.

Till I saw one of the episodes of Downton Abbey on Saturday. Amy says to Mr. Bates, "I would rather get married to the right man, than have a right wedding". And I just felt immensely happy. And after 10 years of my marriage, and since I have ample proof that I did get the right man, I feel terribly happy.

Who says TV is bad for you?

1 comment:

Sujata said...

Downton Abbey is full of such nice moments !