Monday, April 06, 2020

Breathe-in Breathe-out

Sunday night. while sleeping with Sanjana, after Vaishutai passed away on Saturday

Sanjana: Mommy, I am sorry about your sister.

Me: Thanks Sanjana, what made you say that now?  (I had been a bit worried that kids were not showing any sadness after I broke the news to them Saturday morning).

S: I just thought of saying it now.

Me: How do you feel?

S: I feel a sadness inside of me, but didn't want to tell you as I didn't want you to be more sad.

Me: (gave her a good hug)

S: Why are you crying? Why are you sad?

Me: I think about all the things Vaishutai said to me, and I am sad that she can't have those things. I am sad that I can't talk to her.

S: Why do you call Aaji and Grandpa and talk about her and cry?

Me: I can't stop talking about her. She is always on my mind, and I want to only think and talk of her. But I am doing other things, and when I talk to Aaji and Grandpa they want to talk of her too, b'coz they feel the same way, and we cry b'coz we miss her.

S: Maybe you can ask them if they are ok with you talking about her. Maybe you should talk to them about what they want to talk about.

Me: I am sorry I am not being a good mom right now.

S: I understand.

Me (still crying, trying to make sure I remember this conversation):

S: Do you want to calm down?

Me: Yes

S: Take your right hand and move it over your fingers in your left hand, breathing in when you go up a finger, breathing out when you go down. This is what Mrs. Ray taught us.

Me: thank you

S: you could also pretend you are sipping cocoa. This is what Mrs. R taught us.

Me: Thank you, it helped me a lot. Can I share this with Grandpa and Aaji?

S: Yes you can. But please give the credit to Mrs Ray and Mrs. R. This is what I learnt from them.


No comments: