Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Hungry Tide

I think this is my favorite Amitav Ghosh book so far. I have so far read "The Calcutta Chromosome" and "In an Antique Land" by him. Though the books were interesting, they never really touched a chord.

The Hungry Tide has a fabulous blend of romance, adventure, wildlife, poetry and culture. If a book manages to swell your heart with emotions, it definitely is a keeper. I finished the book over a couple of days back, and am still "hungry" for the book. I want to re-read the book. I wonder how an author can write something so sensual, so touching, and make it so intelligent and real at the same time. I want to visit the Sundarbans, I want to see the land of Bon Bibi.

A few favorite lines from the book:
"And yes, it was true that whatever came of it would not revolutionize the sciences, or even a minor branch of them, but it was also true that if she was able to go through with it - even a part of it - it would be as fine a piece of descriptive science as any. It would be enough; as an alibi for a life, it would do; she would not need to apologize for how she had spent her time on this earth."

"Suffice it to say then that I have never before known what it was to want to ensure someone's happiness, even if it should come at the cost of my own."

2 comments:

mandar said...

Have you read Shadow Lines? I think it might touch a chord... I loved it. I've read the others, but haven't read Hungry Tide. I had a similar reaction to your's with Cal Chromo, but I thought Antique Land was really awesome. Unfortunately, it was long enough ago that I don't remember more details.

Cheers!

--Mandar

Anonymous said...

will definitely pick Shadow lines, when I feel like reading an Amitav Ghosh book.