Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Rot

Have you ever noticed that if you get off on a wrong footing with someone, it really is difficult to get back to a normal relationship. The passage of time could be a good healer, but which party will take the initiative of healing the rot?

And then sometimes some friendships seem to fizzle out. But I suspect the rot sets in way before the apparent fizzling. I have lost one good friend -- one day I noticed that I was the one doing all the calling, and initiating our meetings. And I stopped doing that. And I was surprised that she didn't initiate anything either. We just stopped talking. Just like that.

Sometimes when I have the time to brood, I try to remember when the rot set it. Or was there even a rot? Maybe I was never a good friend to her in the first place.

No comments: