I met my neighbour at lunch a couple of weeks back. And she gave her copy of "The White Tiger" to me. Lately I haven't been reading as many indian novels as I used to. And I wasn't planning on reading The White Tiger either. But with a copy in my hands, and with nothing better to read, I started the book.
I am not done with it yet, but while googling the author I came across this interesting bit. Pasting it hear for reference.
I am a white American married to an Indian immigrant. We are both highly educated and well mannered. The Indian community will not socialize with us even though we are raising our son Hindu and make efforts to join social circles. What do you think is the cause of this? Our general feeling is that the Indian expats fear American socialization of their children and do not want us around as and example of mixed marriages.
– Clifton Williams
Dear Clifton, I’m really sorry to hear this. I can tell you that most Indians are welcoming, friendly people — and I bet that once your comment is posted, dozens of Indians living in America will write to say that they’d be happy to have you and your wife over for dinner. Certainly, if you were here in Mumbai, where I live, you’d have no shortage of friends. India has been governed for five years by Sonia Gandhi, an Italian-born woman who married Rajiv Gandhi, an Indian politician: she is accepted as Indian here, and is loved by millions. It is the case, though, that Indians who migrate to America become more conservative, insular, and nostalgic than they would be here. They didn’t speak to me much when I was in America, either, if that’s any consolation. I never got invited anywhere for dinner in the Indian community; they didn’t want their daughters marrying a punk like me, either. Just ignore them and visit India; you’ll never feel isolated again.
You have to love Aravind's response. :)[note: as everyone I am sure has noted already, Adiga is totally wrong about Sonia Gandhi governing India, I found the last line more interesting. "Visit India, you'll never feel isolated again"]
No comments:
Post a Comment