Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Life besides work

I joined a start-up in 2002, and my life was at a stand-still after that. I literally breathed, ate and dreamt work. I lost touch with lot of my friends. But it was not as if I was forced to put in so much work. It was totally my choice. Maybe it had got something to do with my first start-up after graduation.

I graduated in 2001 and I joined a start-up, which I wasn't too excited about. I didn't want to be in the application programming field. However, I didn't do much to change my job or look for anything better. After living on meager wages in graduate school, it was great to have a car of my own, to have a decent salary, and a job which didn't really stress me out too much (I can't say the same for my grad-school projects). After a few months though, I was itching to take up something more challenging. You should always be careful what you wish for ! In January 2002, the company I was working for shut-down and I was out looking for a job. I was without a job for a month and a half. I guess that's why when I eventually joined the next start-up, I just poured myself into it.

But I think I like it that way. For me, life without work is a break, a vacation, a boring vacation. A break before I move on to the next challenging thing.

No comments: