While at school, one of my friends S gave me his copy of "The Name of the Rose". Though I started reading the book, and liked it, I couldn't finish it. It was a difficult read for me, but back then I blamed it on the hectic quarter system. But the hundred odd pages that I read, made me realise that the book was a keeper. So I bought a used copy from the Palo Alto Library book sale and promptly returned my friend's copy.
A couple of years later, and a couple of years back, around christmas I decided to pick up the unfinished book when I found out that a co-worker was reading it. You see I love to discuss books. And this time around, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I loved the descriptions of the medieval life, the discussions about religion and science, nicely threaded around a murder mystery.
Two days back R and I watched the movie. The movie managed to capture the essence of the book quite well. I would recommend reading the book first and then watching the movie though. I watched the commentary by Jean-Jacques Annaud on the making of the film, and was flabbergasted with the details. The director got lots of letters of complaints about the Virgin Mary. Apparently the Virgin Mary in the movie was of the Renaissance period, in a setting which I came to know was a faithful reproduction of medieval life !
No comments:
Post a Comment