Thursday, August 03, 2006

15 Park Avenue

I should never, I repeat never, watch a serious movie at someone's place. I have so far always followed this rule. Last weekend, when I was visiting R's sister, we were sleeping in the media room. Since the rest of the household had gone to sleep and since we had had a short nap in the afternoon, I decided to break my unwritten rule. I figured it would be ok to cry umm.. watch "15 Park Avenue", since it was going to be just the two of us watching the movie. Well, I was wrong. It was ok to watch the movie, but the next day my eyes were all puffed up, and I had a really bad headache.

Aparna Sen has directed a very thoughtful and beautiful movie. It's a simple story, a peek in the lives of one particular upper middle class family. The characters make certain choices in their lives and live with the choices. In the course of the movie we see Shabana Azmi's character go through self-doubt and show compassion and even frustration towards her sibling. A strong, self-reliant, intelligent character with many layers to her persona. I just loved her. And then ofcourse Konkana Sen is quite endearing in her role. A fabulous movie. As R would say, I should give it a rating of 4 buckets.

No comments: