Friday, August 04, 2006

What's in a Name?

Today I had lunch with my childhood buddy S's friend M at La Jolla. S and I used to play together all the time, till her family moved to Karnataka. I clearly remember my one and only visit to M's house. This has to be more than 22-23 years back. The only thing that I remember of that visit was that I had a lot of fun. And after all these years, I happened to get in touch with M.

And this was because I was cc-ed in one of those "fwded emails" by one of my dance class buddies. M happened to look at my name (which in emails is still my maiden name), and after a couple of email exchanges which went like "Are you the Manali from...", we ended up meeting for lunch today.

At lunch M told me that if my email had my married name, she would not have placed me as the Manali she knew and wouldn't have tried to get in touch with me.

No comments: