We haven't had a book-club meeting in a long time, partly because of the dwindling membership. Two of the members moved out of town, one is taking care of a baby at home, and one is busy with her wedding. So G and I, the only two currently active book-clubbers, decided to include our spouses for the next meet. A spy story was picked for the meeting!
This is the first John Le Carre book I have read. I hadn't expected the book to be so dark, and so sad. Some parts are quite boring, where they are training Leiser before his run. The females in the book are shown to be quite pathetic, clinging and neurotic! The camaraderie that is dear to Leiser, and since we as a reader can see what it is for, would have turned me into a cynic if I weren't already one.
I am definitely going to read more books by Le Carre.
No comments:
Post a Comment