A few years back, R introduced me to a BBC comedy series "The Office". Ricky Gervais as the detestable manager was a little jarring. And besides back in those days I didn't quite see the humour in an "eccentric manager at work" situation. Didn't help that the series had some eccentric co-workers too. I however liked the love angle and later started enjoying the series. The last episode of the British Office was an amazing closure to an amazing series.
I was a little disappointed when I heard that there was going to be an american "Office". But I learned to enjoy the american spin on what had become a favorite series.
Recently R picked "Extras" by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. It is a short series, and it is a great watch. Especially the last episode.
I wonder how Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant manage to evoke empathy for characters that are shallow and sometimes jarring. And they manage to bring in a few laughs. Surely it is a very thin line, but they always seem to get it right.
No comments:
Post a Comment