Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Prop 8

Someone sent a link to an encylopedia like web-site for Prop 8 on the parents mailing list at work. This triggered a flurry of emails passionately discussing prop 8, both for it and against it. And some emails about whether Prop 8 should even be discussed on the parents mailing list.

I was going through the discussions and this email really struck a chord.

Parent1:
> Thanks to Prop. 8 commercials, I am having a conversation with my SIX
> yr old about sexual orientation. I am forced to have this
> conversation now, instead of my time.


And I have done the same with my 5 year old. She also knows why some of our friends don't exchange gifts at Christmas, why some have different holidays than us, why some have different color skin, why some people don't speak English, why some don't like little kids, why some are in wheelchairs, and why some have Down's.

People are different. She can grow up staring and pointing at different people. Or I can explain that people are different and ask if she wants to be stared and pointed at when she is in a group of people different from her.

-d

No comments: