Friday, May 14, 2010

Dayaghana

I am a big fan of Hridaynath Mangeshkar. Some of my favorite songs by him are:

Mi Dolkar
Sung by Hemant Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar. It is a beautiful song and I cringe when I see school-children perform a koli dance to its tune.

Ti Geli Tevha Sung by Hridaynath Mangeshkar. This one is a recent favorite. A man remembers his childhood and his mother abandoning him. ("supposedly for a lover"). It is extremely poignant.

Daya Ghana Sung by Suresh Wadkar. I can't seem to get enough of this song.

Lyrics for the non-Marathi speakers pasted from here.
Dayaghana (O Merciful One)

Dayaghana. Dayaghana..
Ka Tutle chimane gharate,
Uralo Bandi asa Me
Dayaghana...


O Merciful One,
My little sparrow-nest lies broken
I am left, a prisoner thus
Why, O Merciful One?

Arre Janma bandiwasa,
Saja ithe pratyekasa
Chuke na kunaas aata
Bandi tuzhaa.. me
Dayaghana


Life is a prison; here,
Everyone must serve his term
There can be no exceptions.
I am your prisoner,
O Merciful One

Daha dishanchi kothadi,
Mohamaya zhali vedi
Prana mazhe odhi zhalo
Bandi asa me
Dayaghana...


The ten directions close me in
Worldly attachment drives me crazy
Life's a heavy burden (My soul is getting squeezed out)
And I, a prisoner,
O Merciful One.

Balapan utu gele
Un tarunya naasale
Vardhakya sachale uralo
Bandi punha Me


With Childhood bubbled over
And Youth gone stale (rotten)
All that remains is Old age
I remain, yet a prisoner,
O Merciful One

No comments: