I am an atheist, yet I love the devotional aspect of Odissi. Actually, the devotional founding of Indian Classical Dance form is something I really like. I am impressed and moved by the descriptions, the lyrics, the music and the depiction of the stories of the Gods. R teases me that I am a believer in denial. I however just happen to appreciate the emotions that bring forth such a beautiful and divine art-form.
I have noticed another similar oxymoron. I strongly believe that I am a world citizen with a tremendous liking for India. Yet, patriotic songs and emotions move me tremendously. I wish I could translate Veer Savarkar's poem. The language is exquisite and the emotions so strong. And though Savarkar's hindutva leanings and his alleged involvement in Mahatma Gandhi's assassination make me extremely uncomfortable, I cannot but respect the strength of his feelings in the poem. I love listening to the song.
Why do these alien emotions move me so much?
No comments:
Post a Comment